Friday 29 May 2009

Every Home Crusade Interviews - Stephen Collins

0


We continue the series of Every Home Crusade Interviews with Stephen Collins who is part of the team at EHC. I'd like to thank Stevie for taking the time to encourage us in this way.

GB: Tell us a bit about yourself, your background & call to Christ?

SC: My name is Stephen Collins, I was born in 1965 in Ballymacash just outside Lisburn and I am rumoured to look like Friar Tuck !!!
Seriously though I was brought up in a home where my parents were not Christians but both of them had been brought up in Christian homes so I was faithfully sent to Sunday school and was faithfully taught about the gospel of Jesus Christ. After leaving school I served my time as a commercial vehicle mechanic .

In September 1986 I went out to Australia to visit my relatives and during the 3rd week of my visit I was persuaded to go to a young peoples meeting. The man spoke on Isaiah 55 v 1-6 and the Lord spoke to me through v6 - Seek ye the Lord while He may be found… I did not respond that evening but a week later on September 21st I gave my life to the Lord Jesus Christ and though I have failed Him many times He has NEVER failed me.


GB: Could you tell us about how Jesus brought you into the work of Every Home Crusade and how long you have been there now?

SC: In April 2002 I was in Australia visiting relatives and I happened to pass a comment to my grandfather that I would be interested in full time Christian work but wasn’t sure what. His answer was “Go and visit a few places”. When I got back that’s exactly what I did, including my 1st visit to Every Home Crusade.
It wasn’t until a 1 ½ years later that Samuel Adams phoned me and invited me for an interview. After the interview I asked the Lord that if it was His will that I go to work at the factory I would know before the end of that day. At 7 p.m that evening Samuel phoned me to say that the job was mine. I was shaking with excitement when I heard. I have been at E.H.C 5 ½ years now and as they say in McDonalds “I’m lovin’ it”.

GB: What is your role at Every Home Crusade (explain in a bit of detail e.g. the machine etc)?

SC: My main role is working as part of a team on the Muller Martini Saddle Stitcher. This machine puts together the Gospels of John, Gospels of Luke, Pardon and Assurance booklets, The Great Separation, What Prayer can do, Jehovah’s Witness booklet, teaching guides for the children’s lessons that are produced at the factory and other special order booklets.

The process involves loading the feeding end of the machine with 1,2 or 3 folded sections( depending on the number of pages in the booklet). The feeders then drop the sections onto a chain which runs along the bottom of the machine. As the sections move along the chain a cover is then dropped on to complete the booklet. It then travels through the stitching part of the machine and 4 staples are put into the booklet. After that the sections are trimmed and cut in the middle to form 2 booklets which are then bundled and put into boxes ready for distribution.

I also fill in as forklift driver, stores and lorry driver.


GB: Why keep doing it?

SC: Because of what the Lord Jesus Christ has done for me. Because of my love for Christ. Because untold millions are still untold and my desire to see others won for the kingdom of God.


GB: Do you feel that working in EHC has benefited you in your walk with Christ & how?

SC: I believe it has, because of the friendships that have been made with brothers and sisters in Christ that have a similar desire to get the printed page out to a lost world. There are also many biblical discussions or debates that take place and you can always learn something new or see things from a perspective that you hadn’t thought about before. I count it a privilege to work in Every Home Crusade and I thank the Lord every day for it.

GB: Could you share a bit about your family? (married/children)

SC: I have been married 18 years and have 2 children, a son of 16 and a daughter of 15 and praise God we have household salvation.


GB: What is the funniest (shareable) moment of your time at EHC?

SC: Possibly the funniest and most embarrassing moment happened a few weeks ago at the Monday morning letter reading and prayer time.. At that time I had as my mobile phone text message alert an impersonated voice of Rev. Ian Paisley saying “ Oh yes, that’s another fine wee text message”.
Unfortunately I had forgotten to turn my phone off during prayer time and yes you guessed , it went off with this message just as someone had started to pray. I don’t think I have ever turned a phone off as quick in my life. As soon as I got it turned off the person just carried on praying as if nothing had happened.
Many were in fits of laughter and I got quite a bit of stick about the incident for the rest of the day.

GB: How could readers pray for you individually?

SC: I would ask the readers to pray that I would grow closer and become more knowledgeable about my Lord and saviour Jesus Christ and His word, that I would serve Him better in Every Home Crusade, in my Church and in my home, for wisdom in fixing problems with my machine when things go wrong and for the Lords continued blessings upon the work of E.H.C, upon Samuel and Clive as they continue to lead the work and upon its workers and their families.


Other interviews in this series:
Alan Graham (CEF)
Timothy Millen (EHC)
Author Image

About Boaly
Gary has been involved in printing the Scriptures for 20 years, enjoys photography and rambling online

No comments: